The 4-Masted Schooner WILLIAM H. HARRIMAN, Watercolor by Arthur Beaumont
Collection of the Los Angeles Maritime Museum
The schooner WILLIAM H. HARRIMAN, which never carried a cargo, is docked in the west basin of Los Angeles Harbor, circa 1925. Built in 1919 in Thomaston, Maine, the HARRIMAN represented the last of the flush decked cargo carriers designed for the coal trade, but was completed just in time to be outdated in favor of steam-powered steel cargo vessels. Her owner, Captain Patrick Ryan, sailed her to California in hopes of earning a profit in the Australian lumber trade. When that venture failed, the HARRIMAN was abandoned in Los Angeles Harbor where she remained idle for the next twenty years, used only occasionally as a prop in Hollywood films. Damaged in a collision with another vessel, she was judged a hazard to navigation and sunk by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1945.
“Changing Views of the South Bay” – paintings and drawings illustrating the evolution of the South Bay and Harbor area, was on view through December, 1999.