The Angels Gate lighthouse (officially known as “Los Angeles Harbor Light”) has stood at the end of the breakwater since 1913. The original 4th-order Fresnel lens, made in Paris by Barbier, Bernard, and Turenne worked continuously until 1987, when the lens was replaced by a modern, solar-powered light.
The original Fresnel lens.
The original lens has been on display at the Museum since 1989. In 2009, lampist James Woodward cleaned, repaired, and relocated the lens to its current exhibit area on the Museum’s second floor.
Read the history of the Angels Gate Lighthouse here.