Los Angeles Maritime Museum Research Library Collection 7
The following is excerpted from the finding aid for the collection.
Title: Records of the Tug Angels Gate (ex. L.A.H.D. # 10, ex-ST-695)
Dates: 1942-1992; 1942-1982 bulk
Creator: Los Angeles Harbor Department
Extent: 10 cu. ft. of folders and volumes
Physical characteristics: Paper documents and log books, some hand-drawn diagrams for engine parts
Abstract: The Los Angeles Maritime Museum’s Tug Angels Gate is docked at Berth 84 in San Pedro year round. Tug documentation features the vessel’s history from construction in 1944 as a United States Army Transport Service “small tug” to her purchase by the Port of Los Angeles in 1946 and subsequent donation to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum in 1992.
The documents include vessel certification, repair orders, inventory, correspondence on acquisition between the United States Maritime Commission and Port of Los Angeles, transfer of title, name change, drydock reports, and the tug’s log books for the period from September 1945 to October 1977.
Scope and Content Notes:
Information on tug boats can be found in two books “U.S. Army Ships and Warcraft of World War II” published by Naval Institute Press, and “Ordeal of the Convoy NY 119” published by Ensign Press.
Tug boats at West coast maritime museums include the Hercules, a 151 foot ocean-going historic tug currently at the San Francisco Maritime Museum.
Biographical Notes: The harbor tug Angels Gate was built in 1944 as ST-695 for the United States Army Transport Service. The “ST” designates “small tug”, and this class was designed to support the Normandy Invasion. Built at Decatur Iron and Steel in Decatur, Alabama, ST-695 was accepted by the Army on December 27, 1944. The tug never operated in Europe and was declared surplus at the end of the war. Although records are incomplete for the immediate post war period, existing documentation places ST-695 at the Los Angeles Port of Embarkation at Wilmington as early as August, 1945. The Port of Los Angeles [Harbor Department] formally purchased ST-695 from the United States Maritime Commission in late 1946, renaming her L.A.H.D. #10. The tug was in constant use, helping to transport pile drivers and derrick barges during the post-war building boom. The tug accidentally sank in 1952, as a result of seacocks left open overnight. The July 23, 1952 memorandum in Box 2, Folder 9, is the only documentation associated with this mishap.
L.A.H.D. #10 was also the Port’s goodwill boat, used for harbor tours and as a backdrop for publicity events such as “Fashions Afloat”. Her name was officially changed to Angels Gate in January, 1956 to honor the lighthouse marking the entrance to the Port of Los Angeles.
In 1992, the Port retired Angels Gate and donated her to the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. Records of her donation, subsequent refueling, drydocking, maintenance, volunteer activities, and movie roles are kept in the Curatorial Department’s donor files (2520) and are outside the scope of this collection of papers.
Repository: Los Angeles Maritime Museum Research Library
Access, Use: Prior arrangement with Librarian, Curator, or Museum Director
Preferred Citation for Reference Requests: Records of the Tug ANGELS GATE
Copyright Notice: Copyright restrictions may apply. See the copyright notice here.
Request Library Appointment:
To view the collection, please make an appointment online.
Los Angeles Maritime Museum Research Library Collection
USS LOS ANGELES CA-135, 1 cu. ft. and Museum artifacts.
The USS Los Angeles, a heavy cruiser, was built at Philadelphia Navy Yard in 1943, and commissioned in 1945 and sailed to the western Pacific to join the 7th Fleet. She returned to San Francisco in 1947 and was de-commissioned in 1948, entering the Pacific Reserve Fleet. The Los Angeles was re-commissioned in 1951, and sailed to join the 7th Fleet in the Korean theater. She returned to Long Beach in 1953 for battle damage repairs. In the next decade she completed 8 more deployments to the Far East. She returned to Long Beach from her final deployment in 1963, was de-commissioned and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet. The Los Angeles received 5 battle stars for her service during the Korean conflict.
The collection includes parts from the ship, salvaged when it was taken down in 1989. These are on display both inside and outside the Museum. The records of the disposition of the ship and its gunnery records are also part of this collection.
Please call the Library at 310-548-7618 for more information. For an appointment to view the collections, please fill out a Library Request form here.