The Fellows & Stewart shipyard operated in Los Angeles Harbor for over 70 years. From its founding in 1896 until its closure in 1967, the company designed, built, and repaired yachts, (both sail and power), workboats, and military vessels. The company’s founder, Joe Fellows, designed boats, while his business partner Victor Baldwin Stewart focused on marketing, advertising, and public relations. The combination of Joe Fellow’s design talent with Victor Stewart’s marketing expertise resulted in national recognition for the company. Joe Fellows’ son Richard Joseph Fellows (1905-1962), known as Rusty or Joe, lead the corporation after his father’s retirement in 1937. His wife, Lois Fellows became President after Rusty’s death until the firm was sold in 1967.
Of the boats designed by Joe Fellows, his prototypical racing sailboats, motor cruisers and speedboats are now classic designs.